Monday, June 15, 2009

Something trivial...and not-so-trivial too....

Firstly, the Bachelorette is on tonight at 8pm Eastern time. 2 whole hours, if you can stand it. Though if Wes gets kicked off, it might be worth watching.

Okay, here's the not so trivial part. I heard a story on NPR that really stuck with me and I wanted to share it. Did you know that the number 1 cause of death for women in developing countries is childbirth? Not malaria. Not AIDS. But simply trying to become mothers.

Did some looking around online and found this site:

http://www.unfpa.org/safemotherhood/

This organization is trying to help women in developing countries get transportation to hospitals, family planning and emergency obstetric care. According to this website 762,932 women died just last year. That is astounding to me.

Anyway, instead of procrastinating on Facebook today (like I usually do)...check out this site. It's really eye-opening and it makes you want to do something. Which is why I'm sending it to you now.

Have a nice Monday.

No comments: