Sunday, June 29, 2008

Terrible and getting worse

This is an actual quote from someone I know when asked how he felt. The truth is, this person's misery has little to do with health. There are sicker people who might answer differently.

I come from a long line of people expecting the worst yet hoping for the best. Hence why I'm convinced every little ache and pain is some exotic disease. I think pregnancy might me hyper this way; back then, when something little seemed wrong, it was always something big.

So once I stopped being pregnant, the aches and pains continued. It was only my body slowly cranking back into gear. But I thought I had everything. And got tested for it all. And you know what? Thank G-d it was all in my head. So I've decided, I am healthy. And that's how I'm going to stay.

Don't worry. I'm not going to be one of those people who tells you "smile!" Because those people ought to be slapped. How dare they demand that I smile? These are also inevitably the people who, on the very day when you have a spring in your step and your hair is behaving, informs you that you look tired.

Watch for these folks. They are same ones who chirp out cheeful little ditties such as "Fridays almost here!" and "working hard and hardly working!" The next time one of them asks you "how you doin?" you have full permission to say "Terrible. And getting worse." It'll give 'em something to talk about with the next poor sap they see in the elevator.

Enjoy your Monday.

1 comment:

marz319 said...

I always think I have a some sort of foreign illness...at least now I know where I get it from!!!!