Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Reluctant Princess

In case you think I'm talking about my daughter, think again. It's me.

That's because we are going through a princess phase in our house and I'm slightly amused yet horrified at the same time.

Though A. has informed me that she is the queen and I am the princess. At least she aiming to be in the position of authority.

I could handle the pink and the tutus and the fairy wings. But there is just something so insipid about Snow White chirping away "someday my prince will come." And A. gets really annoyed if I try to imitate her, fluttering my eyelashes and gesturing wildly.

"Listen," she will tell me. "Just listen."

And she does. And she loves it. So I will keep my opinions to myself. Or try. Try very hard. Because if this is what she likes, than she deserves to experience it. Let her dream of fluffy dresses and fairy godmothers. And before we know it, she'll be on to horses or dinosaurs or whatever else phase comes next.

In the meantime, the hierarchy is Snow White first, then Arielle (who she calls Marielle) and Cinderella.

"What do the princesses do?" she asks me.

"Well," I say. "Snow White cooks, Arielle swims and Cinderella cleans."

She wrinkles her nose. "What about Sleeping Beauty?"

"She just sleeps."

"I don't like that!"

"Sorry, that's what they do."

It won't be long now. In the meantime, did you know that a wish is a dream your heart makes? When its fast asleep?

No comments: