Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Why I'm done with Facebook

I could say it's because my mother just friended me. Which she did. But that's not why.

I could say it's because I've had some misunderstandings with people on there. Which I have. Particularly with ones I knew in high school. Particularly during election season. Because on Facebook....as in email...there is no "tone of voice." I've always thought my writing style would let people know not to take me seriously most (perhaps all) of the time but apparently not. But that's not why.

I could say it's because I don't care what your top favorite beers are, or what your favorite flowers or whether or not you saw Kiss live in concert. That's annoying, but that's not why.

I think I'm done with Facebook because...I don't want to know anymore.

On the plus side, Facebook has helped me get back in touch with a good amount of people who I like a lot. But it has also made some reappear who should have just remained out of my life.

I'm glad to see all the smiling faces of friends past and their cute kids and I'm pleased that most people are healthy and happy. A few are not. And while that's sad, I suppose that is part of living. And what it is to be a part of a community.

But you know? I think I'm done.

I've reached my limit with the cute status updates (a dream for a writer at first and then it becomes another assignment). I'm finished with friending, de-friending, blocking and all the drama surrounding it. It makes me feel like I'm back in high school. And I hated high school.

But mostly, I want my life back in real time.

I want phone calls. Personal emails that 300 people can't read. And actual lunch dates with people...real, breathing ones, not just the ones grinning at me on my computer.

I'm not saying I'll go cold turkey on it. I don't think I can. It's like dieting...I think I just need to wean myself away from it. But slowly, slowly, I will disappear from the world of Facebook. Taking some old faces with me as souvenirs.

No comments: