Tuesday, October 13, 2009

More Tales of the Critter Magnet

As I've blogged before, critters seem to be drawn to me. When I lived in Florida, it was frogs and lizards. In my city life, it's been (shudder) rodents. I hesitate to even write the word since when I do, they seem to take it as an open invitation.

Now, I should tell you that we live on the 4th floor of a brownstone. So you'd think that the critters wouldn't want to travel that far. Seems as though they don't mind.

The other night, we're in bed and I turn off the light to go to sleep. Then I hear an odd zapping noise, like an electrical current. I turn the light back on again and a huge insect with brown wings is standing on my nightstand smiling at me. I shriek, wake the husband and point. He attempts to "get" it (sorry animal lovers) but wholeheartedly misses. This leads to us both jumping on the bed, scouring the room for the little bugger. And then we hear the familiar "zzz-zzz" that this insect makes. The husband stalks him and eventually moves in for the kill. I somewhat feel bad for destroying such a strange-looking creature. Husband looks at me strangely and goes to sleep.

But I can't. Since I know it's just a matter of time before we get another night time visitor. I am convinced that at some point, a bat is going to get in. It stands to reason since we live really close to the park. And the park is apparently crawling with them. Actually, I guess flying with them is more appropriate. I'm convinced they fly in through our chimney and hang out in the living room, playing with A's Legos. And while I think bats are kinda cool animals, I totally don't think I could handle it if one got in the house.

In the meantime, A. keeps insisting she is seeing mice all over the house. She even insists there is a mouse hole by the front door, throwing herself on the ground at least once a day to say "hello mouse!" Maybe she sees something I don't. Or perhaps she just enjoys torturing me. Or maybe, just maybe...she's a critter magnet too.

No comments: